Interactive Online Quiz
Question 1. Currents are water movements created by?
- the wakes of large ocean-going vessels (ships).
- friction between moving air (wind) and the water's surface.
- none of the above
Question 2. Surface currents:
- are wind-driven.
- are the only currents that most people see.
- affect about 20% of the
ocean's volume(total water)
- all of the above
Question 3. Deep-ocean currents are:
Question 4. Winds and ocean currents are ultimately
created by the:
- all of the above.
Question 5. Winds and ocean circulation (currents)
are created as a result of:
- Moon's orbit around Earth
- satellites orbiting Earth.
- unequal solar heating of the oceans and the
- 1 & 2
Question 6. A "south wind":
- blows out of the north to the south.
- blows out of the south to the north.
Question 7. A "northerly current":
- flows to the north
- flows out of the north.
Question 8. Once surface currents are set in motion,
they are affected by three other factors:
- Coriolis effect, presence of coasts, & horizontal pressure gradient
- Gyres, eddies, & geostrophic flow
- Hurricanes, earthquakes, & tsunamis
- Ships, whales, & icebergs
Question 9. Only one ocean current flows unimpeded
(without obstruction or barriers) around Earth. It is the:
- Gulf Stream Current
- California Current
- Antarctic Circumpolar Current
- Aghulas Current
Question 10. A deflection of ocean water--to the
right in the Northern
Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere--
caused by Earth's rotation is called:
- The Coriolis effect
- The Langmuir circulation
- A gyre
- Horizontal pressure gradient
Question 11. Variations in the ocean's circulation
can lead to variations
in the heat transport and thus lead to variations in:
- shipping lanes
- occurrence of tides
- weather patterns
Question 12. One important variation in ocean circulation
periodic change in the equatorial circulation known as:
- Coriolis Effect
- El Niño
Question 13. How do we currently measure currents?
- drift bottles
- current meters
- all of the above
Click here for answers to the quiz.