Interactive Online Quiz
Question 1. The phenomena known as El Niño:
Commonly occurs around Christmastime every 4 to 7 years.
- Is indicated by
a warming of the waters off the coast of Peru.
- Is indicated by a slowing
down or reversal of the trade-winds.
- All of the above.
Question 2. The movement of cold, nutrient-rich water
to the surface of the ocean is referred to as:
- Southern Oscillation.
Question 3. El Niño affects weather patterns:
- Off the coast of Peru only.
- Only on the coast of California
- Primarily in the middle of the ocean.
Question 4. Which of the following is not a negative
impact of El Niño?
Abundance of fish off the coast of Peru.
- Droughts in Australia.
- Ice storms in eastern
- Severe coastal storms rainfall, flooding, and mud
slides on the west coast of the United States.
Question 5. We have a better understanding now of
El Niño than ever before. This is a direct result of:
- Eye witness reports of El Niño.
- Space shuttle observations of
- Data collected by the TOPEX/Poseidon satellite
- Shipboard measurements.
Click here for answers to the quiz.