Interactive Online Quiz
Question 1. When the sun's energy heats the continents
and the oceans, which of the following is true?
- Land absorbs and loses heat less quickly than the oceans.
- Land absorbs
and loses heat at the same rate as the oceans.
- Land absorbs and loses
heat more quickly than the oceans.
- Land absorbs heat less quickly,
but loses heat more quickly than the oceans.
Question 2. Movement of ocean water is primarily
- Wind-driven currents.
- The calving and movement of icebergs.
- The wakes of large ships.
- The movement of fish and large sea mammals (such as whales) through the oceans.
Question 3. Currents (movement of water) can also
be caused by:
- Earth's rotation
- Geologic activity with Earth
- All of the above
Question 4. The temperature of ocean water is affected
- None of the above
Question 5. Deep-ocean water:
- 1. Is less dense than surface water
- Is denser than surface water
- Is the same density as surface water
- Oscillates between being less dense or more dense than surface water.
Question 6. Thermohaline Circulation:
- Is the sinking and spreading of cold water in the ocean.
- Is the same
as Meridional Overturning Circulation.
- Both 1 & 2
- 2 only
Question 7. Density affects ocean circulation. Which
of the following affects density?
- Precipitation (rain, snow, sleet, etc.)
- All of the above
Question 8. Why is Norway at 60° N far warmer than
southern Greenland and northern Labrador which are at the same latitude
- The temperature is affected by the different longitudes of the
Gulf Stream current and the North Atlantic Drift current carry heat
to warm Europe.
- Both 1 & 2.
- None of the above.
Question 9. Earth's main reservoirs of readily available
carbon dioxide--CO2 --(an important greenhouse gas) are:
- The tropical rainforests.
- The coral reefs.
- The ocean basins
- Caves & grottos
Question 10. The Global Conveyor Belt refers to:
- A heat transport system in the ocean.
- The equator
- A mechanical means of moving large ships in the ocean.
- Earth's atmosphere
Click here for answers to the quiz.